Great Wall

Several passes in the Great Wall have been restored for tourists, the nearest, Pa-da-ling , is about 72 km north-west of Beijing. The first section was built in the 5th century; when completed it already covered about 20 states, involved several dynasties and more that 300,000 men.

When you stand on the tower and see the wall snaking along the ridge, words cannot be found to describe the feelings experienced.

(Stone steps)



Thirteen Tombs

Situated about 50 km north of Beijing, 13 of the 16 Ming Dynasty Emperors (A.D.1368 - 1644) are buried here. After passing through the Marble Gate and Red Gate, there is the famous avenue of stone animals dating from around the Han dynasty (B.C. 206 - A.D. 220) which were in place before the Tombs were constructed. Three Tombs have been opened for tourists, namely Ding Ling, Chang Ling and Zhao Ling where treasures are displayed.

(Ding Ling)

Yi-he-yuan (Summer Palace)

It was first built in 12th century for the Court to stay during the hot summer days and was also known as the Summer Palace. 

It was enlarged by Yuen Emperor  in the 14th century and further additions, such as temples and pavilions, were made during Ming Dynasty (A.D. 1368 - 1644), together with enormous developments under the Qing Emperor Qian-long (A.D. 1736 - 1796). 

The major attractions are the Eastern Palace, Longevity Palace, House of Clear Sky, Kun-ming Lake, Marble Boat and the Long Corridor.


(Long Corridor)


"Si-he-yuan", old-style building with one main door facing the street, to ensure a secure compound once the door is closed. When entering through the front door, there is a big courtyard; all the detached buildings in four directions are facing the courtyard, which was built according to feng-shui rules.

In the olden days, all family members lived in one "si-he-yuan", of various sizes, small, medium and large. According to their seniority, the elders would live in North House, the younger generation in east and west house..etc.

Must visit one of the "Si-he-yuan" to understand the set up, sit around, think back and imagine the family values in the good old days.


Lu-gou Bridge

It is also known as Marco Polo Bridge, 235 meters long, 11 arches and plenty of broad piers. There are two stone pedestals at the end of the bridge, one with the record of the history, regarding the renovation work carried out during the reign of Emperor Kang-xi (1662-1722), and the other with Emperor Qian-long handwriting, "The Moon over the Lu-gou Bridge at Dawn" .

A total number of 280 carved white marble lions are proudly lining on both sides of the bridge.

Home pageTop